Raise your hand if you have been added, without your consent, to a Facebook Lularoe group? Lipsense? Usbourne books? Norwex? (although that last one doesn't seem as in-your-face in my experience) I'm writing this post mainly to vent about how much I dislike these online marketing schemes, and why. I'll start with an antidote. Someone I know messaged me out of the blue, who I have not talked to nor do I really have a relationship with. They sent me a message about their company inviting me to an online show. I didn't respond, because I'm not interested. They then called me, saying they "were so happy to hear my voice" and wanted to throw me a "virtual baby shower" in celebration of baby's arrival. I didn't respond because I've been sick and just didn't want to deal with it. They then messaged me again on Facebook, listing off how the baby shower would work, what incentives I would get by hosting one, and how I could invite all of my friends to said baby shower.
Here are the things that annoy me about this situation and multi-level marketing in general:
1. Don't pretend we have a relationship or that you are genuinely reaching out to me when I know all you want is my money. Seriously. If you add me to a group, that's cool because I can "leave the group" but why isn't there some way to ask my consent first? Who says I will be interested in your product? If I am, I will reach out to you if you post your profession on your webpage. But don't try to reach out to me solely on the basis that you want me to buy your product. It feels insincere and hurtful.
2. Don't try to get me to do the same to my friends. If my friends want to buy me a baby shower gift, they have already reached out to me or done so by now. I think it is totally inappropriate for me to ask people to join a group to buy me presents. That puts them in an awkward position and me in an awkward position.
3. It has changed the purpose of social media. I'm not anti-change, but it is sometimes overwhelming to get tons of ads on social media in addition to my friends trying to sell me things. It makes an avenue that was meant to build relationships and keep in contact a much less sincere avenue to get gain. And that just bugs me. Do we really need more of that?
4. It preys on people's addictions. I am speaking specifically to Lulaore right now. Some of their stuff is cute. But cute or not, it is vastly overpriced and poorly made and also-- they don't have all sizes in all patterns so it doesn't even make sense to me why someone would want to buy their stuff (although I have admittedly bought 2 of their items and regretted it both times). The only solution that I can see is that it preys on people's addictions. Let me explain. I have seen countless comments of people outright stating their addictions: "I'm a Lularoe addict." or "Hard Monday. Buy Lularoe, lol!" I would like to bet that the majority of Lularoe customers do not have tons of money. They just are addicted to buying things they can't afford. Emotional shopping, in the online form. Or they are addicted to getting a cute package in the mail addressed to them. How can you feel good about your life as a consultant when you are literally making a profit off of people buying clothes they do not need or can not afford?
5. Stop acting like you love your customers. I have also seen countless consultants post things like, "Feeling so grateful for you ladies today." or "Lularoe ladies are the best." or "I've made the best friends through this company." or "I love you ladies." Um, sorry to break your bubble, but you love them because they make you money. They buy your products. How is that true friendship? Someone enlighten me, please.
6. Don't bear your testimony of your company. Say it like it is - advertising. I don't think I need to add anything to this; it's similar to #5. This isn't the gospel, or church, or even truth. It's a business and you are advertising for it. Let's be real, here.
I've never been into sales. Maybe that is the issue. But if someone can explain to me the rationale behind these companies, I'd be happy to explore motives and change my opinion. I'm just fed up with people trying to sell me things I don't need, or using relationships to get gain.
YES! In college I signed up for Mary Kay and lasted maybe a month. I hated selling and it never worked. So now I refuse to go to any "party" where you have to buy something. And I quit FB.
ReplyDelete