Sunday, May 22, 2022

On Loving God

 GC Talk “A might change of heart: I have nothing more to give you” Eduardo Gavarret 

How do we change our hearts? 

Study scriptures->seek knowledge->desire change->prayer and fasting->act->covenants 

I love the emphasis on study scriptures with the motivation and desire to gain knowledge of the Savior. How does our motivation affect scripture study? How does it affect our hearts? It has everything to do with my heart and the condition of our hearts. It is interesting that the condition of my heart can make a difference in whether I get anything out of the scriptures. It can make the difference in having “ears to hear and eyes to see” how the scriptures are applicable to me, what they truly mean. If I approach it without that desire, they fall flat and I can not apply them to myself. 

How do we know our heart is changing? 

We want to please God->treat others with love and respect->see the attributes of Christ developing in ourselves->feel guidance of Holy Ghost->keep the commandments better than before. 

Interesting that once our hearts change, we can change. Instead of focusing on the behavior I don’t like in myself/a weakness, I can focus on God and He can change me from the inside->out and I will develop His attributes. The last thing to change is the actions (keep commandments better). Change from the inside out instead of from the outside in. 

This is applicable to parenting. Don’t try to change my kids’ actions from the outside->in, try from the inside->out. When I punish without trying to understand what’s going on inside, the apologies will be empty and they will hit sister or do whatever again. Instead try to teach principles and help them become self aware so they can change themselves from the inside->out.

How do we maintain a mighty change of heart?

Partake of sacrament weekly->go to the temple->love and serve neighbors.

We gain POWER from our covenants (sacrament and temple). Power to change. Power to have hope and power to keep trying and persisting. Power of the Atonement. 

“This change of heart is not an event; it takes faith, repentance, and constant spiritual work to happen.”

Deut 8:11-17 we so often forget God in times of plenty. We attribute our success to ourselves when in actuality God is the one “who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness.” How often have I thought “I’m strong for getting through that trial. That was a hard time, I can’t believe I did it.” When in actuality I should be remembering that God was the One who got me through it. How has God led me through the wilderness of these sicknesses? Through Heidi’s sickness? Through the stress of marriage? Through the challenges of parenting? Am I attributing my successes to myself or to God? 

Deut 30:20 “That thou latest love the Lord they God and that thou mayest obey His voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto Him, for He is thy life, and the length of thy Days” 

I love this scripture. I think if I truly loved the Lord and cleaved unto Him (like I cleave unto some of my habits), I think I would have more power and strength to get through some of my challenges. What if I tried to make Him more the focal point of my thoughts and conversations as I’m sitting with my kids, as I’m on walks or hikes, as I’m lying in bed or when I wake up instead of defaulting to other mind numbing things on my phone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment