These pictures sum up 2016 pretty well I'd say (and
were the nine most-liked photos on my Instagram feed). Thinking back in 2016,
it has been hands down the MOST eventful year of my life, obviously. Samuel and
I were just reminiscing together about our dating days, being engaged, our
wedding day, and the transitions that came after.
One year ago News Years Eve, Samuel met me in Boise
where I had flown in from North Carolina to visit him in Idaho for the first
time. I remember so distinctly being SO excited to see him in the Boise
airport, hopping into his car, driving through the canyon full of tall, snowy
trees, and arriving at his home where we celebrated the New Year with
noise-makers and sparkling cider. I remember shouting "2016" and
feeling deep-down that this would be a year to remember.
Up until that point, Samuel had made several trips
down to Salt Lake. He had sacrificed a lot for me, proved to be a huge support
and super fun adventure partner, and a genuinely kind person. But it wasn't
until I saw him in his own "context" here in Idaho that I really got
to know him and, equally important, to trust him. I
could see how he lived his life, how he treated others, what he did with his
time, and how he treated people. I could see his goals and desires reflected in
little things - down to the things he hung on his refrigerator, the people he
interacted and spent time with, and the activities he did in his spare
time.
We spent many hours on hikes through the forest
getting to know each other, discussing important things and unimportant things,
and falling in love. He started to teach me how to live in and love the snow,
how to ski, how to appreciate life in a small town. It was so magical.
Although I felt small feelings that this was "the real deal" from the
first date, it wasn't until I really invested in our relationship that I got
more consistent confirmations and really started to fall in love with him. And
even though those fourteen hour drives were so long in reality, they didn't
seem long when I got to see him! (Except for that one time I got stuck in a
snow storm, was sick, and almost got run over by a semi...)
If you would've told me a year ago that I would be
married, living in Idaho, and almost six months pregnant, I would have laughed
and thought, "Yeah, that's been my new years resolution for years and I
have (almost entirely) given up on that hope." I am so glad I
didn't entirely give up, and still put forth the energy and maintained faith that
things can be beautiful even after so many disappointments.
The first three months of marriage were, frankly
speaking, wonderful and difficult all at the same time. All of the transitions
I had anticipated as being difficult were difficult, some more
difficult than others and others easier than I had anticipated. I married
Samuel not necessarily because I thought we were a perfect match (although we
kind of are in many ways) but rather because I knew we would both be 100%
committed to each other and to working through the challenges that would
inevitably come, we had similar goals and direction, and loved each other. I
didn't understand at the time that, even with all of those transitions and hard
things to work through (many more in the future I'm sure), the feeling of
having someone totally committed to you, never going to give up on you or the
relationship, and someone who always has your best interest in mind, and who
will be by your side as you both learn and grow together is a beautiful feeling
and blessing that is worth all of the effort.
Things are continually getting easier as we understand
each other better, learn to communicate and love each other better, and really
learn how to be unselfish and put others' needs first and give each other the
benefit of the doubt. A lifetime pursuit, I'm guessing, and one that will be
accelerated when baby girl comes in three (!!!) months...
Sometimes life is difficult and painful. And
sometimes it's that and beautiful all at the same time. My focus for 2017 is:
Gratitude. Service. Simplifying. I really want to learn how to enjoy a slower
pace of life, appreciate the small opportunities that present themselves daily
to serve my family and community, and to seek to turn myself outward in service
to others/family. Bring it on, 2017!
I love this. <3<3<3
ReplyDeleteYou really did have an amazing 2016!! Loved reading your thoughts!
ReplyDelete